Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Good Riddance

This morning, Publius smugly smiles at the idiocy of these Afghan terrorists who undertook a suicide bombing mission and ended up being its only casualties. As Winston Wolfe said: "Better you than me, gentlemen."

Doubtless similar situations have arisen between 2001 and now, but this is the first time I have actually heard of such a thing occuring in Iraq or Afghanistan. Be thankful that the terrorists involved were only able to bring harm to themselves, and not to the battered population of Afghanistan nor the American and Afghan security forces that protect it.

Should we rejoice in occasions such as these? Philosophically, I don't know. I feel guilty for finding the story funny, yet I cannot muster one iota of sympathy for a pack of murderers who blew themselves up while targeting innocent people.

One of warfare's cruel ironies is that there is the occasional macabre slapstick to be found on the battlefield. I've heard more than a few veterans relate stories that are, in their eyes, both horrifying and darkly humorous.

Does how we react to these stories say something about our nation's character? Is there such thing as an appropriate response? Am I thinking way too much about this? Post your comments. I'm interested in what you might say.

No comments: