Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Avatar: James Cameron's Foray Into Space and Political Correctness

Here is some recommended reading for you: one of my favorite writers, Steven Greydanus of DecentFilms, has published a thoroughly excellent review of James Cameron's Avatar. He gives the film a B+, and he explicates both its thematic weaknesses and its undeniable appeal as a sci-fi epic.

I had wanted to write something about Avatar, but Greydanus' article summarizes my feelings accurately. No need for a straight-up review from me. I will say that I enjoyed the movie immensely. Its environmentalist, "noble savage", ecopantheist, anti-capitalist messaging is impossible to ignore. Yet there are amazing worlds on display here, and a tight, effective script put to good use.

It's not Lord of the Rings. Cameron's uses every politically-correct idea and staple Hollywood plot convention imaginable, so there are few narrative or philosophical surprises. However, if the film's layout and moral compass are predictable, than its inventive design and world-building more than compensate. I enjoyed the casting, as well.

I almost feel guilty for enjoying it so much- but not that guilty. Putting aside the allegory (it's difficult, I know), Avatar can be enjoyed on its own terms.

There are larger questions to asked, here. What does the film say about us, as a people? What do we look for from our sci-fi? Where is it going, and where has it been? Stay tuned. I have a lot more to say on the subject of science fiction and its place in the American cultural consciousness. Just not this morning.

No comments: